Pages

Tuesday, March 1, 2016

Book Review - At the Water's Edge



At the Water's Edge is the second book I have read this year.  What is even happening to me?  Oh, right!  I have a kid now!

This is one of those books that is hard for me to review.  I saw it when I was looking at ebooks on my library website, and noticed it was the same author who wrote Water for Elephants, which I thought was interesting.  I didn't know anything about the plot of this new book, so I went in with no expectations. 

The framework is that during WWII, a woman ends up on a crazy trip with her husband and his best friend to find the Loch Ness Monster.  This is all just a setup for the actual plot which is all drama.  I honestly felt like the meat of the plot was similar to Water for Elephants (Spoilers in white -lady is married to mean guy so she is allowed to have affair with a nice guy.  Did we mention how mean the husband is?  SO MEAN!). 

This book was definitely interesting, but I hated all of the main characters.  They were whiny jerks and I didn't particularly care what happened to them.  I would have much rather read more about the supporting characters.  So how to rate a book that you can't put down, but don't particularly like?

I probably won't pick up anything else by this author.  

No comments:

Post a Comment