Pages

Wednesday, January 20, 2016

Book Review - Dad is Fat



After reading Food, I had to pick up Jim Gaffigan's first book, Dad is Fat.  I liked this one even more!   He's a comedian with 5 kids, so he's got some witty insights about all the craziness that comes along with parenting.  I was laughing out loud at several points.  I'm curious if most of this is just carried over from his standup, but I've never watched any of it, so it was all fresh for me.

There were several sweet moments in the midst of the humor, as well.  Which is exactly how parenting works.  One second, you are like "I WILL BUY YOU A PONY IF YOU JUST GO TO SLEEP!" and the next you are like "I'll snuggle you forever because you are the sweetest baby in the whole world ever!"  I can only assume it gets worse as they get older and actually have opinions.

There were many quotable quotes, but my favorite was in the middle of his rant that people always have a million opinions about when you have kids, how many kids you have, how far apart they are, etc.

People would never even ask a friend, let alone a stranger, when they plan to get their hair cut, for fear of offending, yet for some reason the “How many children are you going to have” question is fair game.

Yep, that's pretty weird, society.  Stop doing that!

2 comments:

  1. Jim Gaffigan is hands down my favorite comedian but I haven't read either of his books yet. I need to change that!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wonder if they have this book on tape. It would be perfect for the next road trip. Glad to hear you liked this one more than the one before!

    ReplyDelete