Pages

Thursday, September 10, 2015

Book Review - You're Never Weird on the Internet (Almost)


The most surprising thing about reading Felicia Day's book is that she is apparently not as famous as I thought.  She talks about being situationally famous with nerds, but I was thinking, no Felicia, you're actually famous.  Then I mentioned the book to a handful of people who had no idea who she is.  Okay.  And I guess that makes me a nerd?

Anyway, do you know who she is?  I knew her from The Guild and Dr. Horrible's Singalong Blog.  Plus she's been a recurring guest star in a handful of TV shows that I've watched.  And of course, I follow her on Twitter.  

So I knew a little bit about her, but not too much.  Turns out she is way more fascinating than I realized!  From a pretty bizarre childhood, to double majoring in math and violin at college only to move to LA to become an actress.  I thought she was sort of famous first and then made The Guild, but apparently not.  I want to go back and watch it again, because I didn't realize how low budget it was!

I really enjoyed her writing style and stories.  She's a celebrity that I think would be fun to meet, but now that I know she's not as much of a celebrity as I originally thought, that's probably why she seems more down to earth.

She warns the reader that the book might get too nerdy at points.  This was definitely true for me.  I've never gotten into gaming.  The extent of my World of Warcraft knowledge comes from a friend in college who I had almost every class with one semester.  We sat together in every class and he played WoW while pretending to "take notes" on his laptop.  So I'd get pretty distracted like "is that dwarf flying around on a magic tiger??"  But I didn't find the nerdier moments of the book off-putting, just realized that I probably didn't fully appreciate what she was talking about.

All in all, I thought this was a pretty good book.  Memoirs can go terribly wrong, but Felicia Day did alright!  

No comments:

Post a Comment