Pages

Thursday, June 26, 2014

Goals Shmoals




So, what ever happened to my goals anyway?  I did quarterly check-in posts in 2012, and then monthly in 2013 - never with consistent success.  I intended to make some new 2014 goals and then continue the monthly updates, but then I just didn't.  And I'm okay with it.  I'm actually doing better with all my "goals" without them being articulated.  Apparently I just rebel against authority, even my own.  (I'll be like "I'm going to do such and such thing this year" and then I'm like "No one tells me what to do!") 

For example, reading 50 books a year has been my goal for the past few years.  I've just barely met it, usually reading a short book in the last couple days of December.  This year, I didn't make an official goal, but I've read 40 already.  That's ridiculous.  I always thought people were crazy when they said they read 100 books in a year, but if I keep up this rate, I'll be at 80.  And I don't even read super fast or spend all my free time in a book.  So I now believe the 100-books-in-a-year readers. 

Another often missed goal for me has been exercising on a regular basis.  I would set reasonable expectations like 3x a week and completely fail.  So I decided that I should try to workout every day.  Every.Single.Day.  And I did for all of January.  And now even when I fail, I'm at the gym 3-4 times in a week.  So failure now is really success.  And since I didn't officially make a goal of working out every day, it's not really failure.

These 2 things really work together, because I read while I'm riding the bike at the gym.  I don't like exercising, but I like reading.  If I make myself go to the gym, that's an hour of free reading time!  I'm bribing myself a little bit, but it works!       

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know that I haven't completely abandoned self-improvement activities, but I just no longer set myself up for failure.  Halfway through the year seemed like a good time to do that.  And now you know the amount of trickery that is required to get myself to do things!
Dress: Old Navy (option, option)
Scarf: J.Crew Factory (exact)
Sandals: Carlos Santana (option, option)

4 comments:

  1. love this combo. Also going job with your goals. My goal for the year was to get more organize. Which I have a little but still have aways to go. I just lost my motivation

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! I think I am the same way with goals, I always break them. But I just focus on something then I do some much better! I really like that mint scarf with your dress! I need to wear scarves more in the summer, the look so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know what, your logic with exercising every day to make sure you get there several times a week totally makes sense but I've never really thought about it! I was kind of wondering how you were reading so many books lately, now I know your secret!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hrm, I just tried to leave a comment, but I don't know if it got submitted... sorry if this is a double!

    How gorgeous is the print of your dress? Love how you paired it with the pop of colour from the scarf.

    Congrats on making it through 40 books already! That's so impressive!!

    xo,
    katrina
    thedemuremuse.com

    ReplyDelete