Pages

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Book Review - Where'd You Go, Bernadette



Where'd You Go, Bernadette by Maria Semple is a really fun book.  I've been seeing it everywhere for over a year.  It initially didn't catch my attention, but then it was a book club pick, so I decided to give it a try.  Let's just say I should have read it sooner!  It was really great!

I like to go into a book without knowing too much about what happens, so I hadn't read the synopsis about this book.  All I knew is that it was about a woman who disappears.  After reading the book, I read the synopsis and feel like it gives too much away.  It's more fun to learn all those pieces at the beginning of the book!

So without giving too much away, I'll just say that this book was funny and sometimes sad, and very interesting.  I was hoping to finish it on my flight to Denver, but a chatty woman next to me prevented me from achieving my goal.  She also made me very nervous, because she had read it, and was dangerously close to telling me how it ends.  I had to be like "wait!  Don't tell me anything!"  So then I finished it on my flight back to Omaha, instead.  And picked a seat next to a 20-something guy who I hoped wouldn't talk to me.  He didn't, and I had plenty of time to read without being disturbed!

I really enjoyed how the story unfolded through some straight narration, but mostly emails and letters between the major characters.  

I mostly wish there had been a couple more chapters at the end.  I wanted to know the details about how everyone settled into life after the whole fiasco.  I'll just fill in the blanks to make it as pleasant as possible!

Have you read this?  What did you think?   

2 comments:

  1. Ahhh, don't you hate it when people come so close to giving away important information about a book or movie?! I teach high schoolers and when we happen to be into the same book or movie, they have no filter and usually tell me something I don't want to know. It frustrates me so much! Anyway, I am up for picking a book for my book club in a few months and I will keep this one in mind!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't even heard about this book until you mentioned it, but it sounds like an interesting read, and one that I'll be putting on my list!! :)

    ReplyDelete