Pages

Tuesday, April 16, 2013

Literary Junkies Time







Hi there!  It's book nerd time again.  Argyle is sort of bookish, right?  Right!  Here are the questions for this month:

What are you currently reading? Tell us about it!
The Shepherd of the Hills - set in the Ozarks around 1900, it starts with the arrival of a mysterious stranger form the city, and then the story starts to build from there, and we learn more about the folks who live in the mountains.  So far, I really like it.

Let's learn about each others Reading Habits!! Answer the following questions either with a simple answer or with lots of details!  
  • Amazon or brick and mortar?  library
  • Locally owned bookshop or big name chain store?  library
  • Bookmark or dog-ear?  usually bookmark, unless I can't find one, and then I dog-ear.  A friend recently got me in trouble for this and said I should have learned not to fold corners in elementary school.  Oops!
  • Alphabetize by author or alphabetize by title or random?  by author mostly
  • Keep, throw away, or sell?  keep favorites, sell or donate others.  I really try not to buy books, because I rarely re-read them, and they just take up space and are difficult to move!  
  • Keep dust jacket or toss it?  keep it
  • Read with dust jacket or remove it?  remove to read
  • Short story or novel?  novel
  • Collection (short stories by same author) or anthology (short stories by different authors)?  no preference.  I don't read a lot of short stories, so I guess it would depend.  If it was a favorite author, I'd pick a collection.  If it was a favorite topic, I'd pick an anthology.  
  • Stop reading when tired or at chapter breaks?  I have to get to a stopping point!  
  • “It was a dark and stormy night” or “Once upon a time”?  Well, I'm not a big fan of scary stuff, so I guess "once upon a time"
  • Buy or borrow?  borrow
  • New or used?  either is fine
  • Buying choice: book reviews, recommendation or browse?  combination.  I get a lot of recommendations from friends, but sometimes I just wander around the library.  
  • Tidy ending or cliffhanger?  I prefer closure
  • Morning, afternoon or nighttime reading?  If possible, all of the above.  With my current life schedule, I mostly read at night.  My favorite thing is reading outside on a nice day.  
  • Single volume or series?  I like both.  I usually try to be patient until the series is complete to start the first book, because I don't like having gaps between each one.  
  • Favorite series?  This is a tough decision.  The first ones that popped into my mind were The Hunger Games, Lord of the Rings, and the Chronicles of Narnia.  
  • Favorite book of which nobody else has heard?  probably the book I am currently reading - The Shepherd of the Hills 
Have you read any good books lately?  

Outfit details:
Sweater: Old Navy
Shirt and Jeans: Gap
Shoes: BCBGeneration

6 comments:

  1. I highly recommend "Ketchup is a Vegetable and Other Lies Moms Tell Themselves" by Robin O'Bryant...especially if you want to laugh out loud!! ;) No 'mom' status needed to read this book! The Shepherd of the Hills sounds like a good one! I love the Ozarks!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The Shepherd of the Hills sounds good... added to my TBR list!

    http://ilikebigbooksblog.wordpress.com/2013/04/16/literary-junkies-6/

    ReplyDelete
  3. Here from the Literary Junkies meet up! I love reading outside on nice days, too. One of my favorite things!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the pop of color!

    http://astyleinprogress.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have those pants. Aren't they so so so comfy! It's so hot here in Florida but I still might suffer in the heat just to wear them a few more times before summer hits. Thanks for the sweet comments! My mom has the tank top and she actually ended up wearing it the same day I did. I want everything in the floral print. I love it. =)

    ReplyDelete
  6. I dog ear all the time and I feel guilty once in a while. We were supposed to learn not to in elementary school? All I remember is Mrs. Forfia discouraging reading above your grade level and banning books!

    ReplyDelete