Pages

Friday, July 20, 2012

FBFF - Summer Reading List

On the beach in St. Croix

The FBFF theme for this week is reading.  I love to read and originally thought I would do book reviews on the blog every so often.  So far, this hasn't happened.  I don't think I am naturally talented at articulating why I liked or disliked a book.  My reviews would be like "awesome" or "boring" and that might get a little, well, boring.  (unlike my outfit posts, which are SUPER interesting). 

My goal is to read 50 books in 2012, and I am currently at 27.  Since May 1, I've finished 14 books.  I won't bore you with the full list, but here are some of my favorites:
  • Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - last summer, a friend told me to check out Neil Gaiman's books, and I was like "Neil Diamond writes books!?".  No, Gaiman with a G.  I've read 3 so far, and enjoyed all of them.  This one is my favorite. 
  • The Cousins' War series by Philippa Gregory - for some reason, I had previously been under the impression that Philippa Gregory books were trashy romance novels pretending to be historical fiction.  I was wrong.  These books were really interesting, and well-written.  They cover the War of the Roses from the perspective of various women.  There are 3 books already out, and I'm excited for the next one to be published this fall. 
  • How We Decide by Jonah Lehrer - really interesting book about how our brains make decisions.   
  •  Let's Pretend This Never Happened: A Mostly True Memoir by Jenny Lawson - if you have read Jenny's blog at all, you know how hilarious she is.  DO NOT read this book if you are easily offended.   
Have you read anything interesting lately?  I'm always looking for suggestions of what to read next.
  

4 comments:

  1. cute idea!
    i have so many books i want to read.
    totally borrowing this idea :)

    Happy Friday Girly!

    Redheaded Daybook

    ReplyDelete
  2. 50 books! thats a lot but I think you can do it! I am your newest follower! I cannot wait to read more of your posts and hope that maybe you can return the favor and follow The Preppy Student. I always comment for every comment left on my page and hope to start a friendly relationship with your wonderful blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Next Saturday I leave for a week long vacation to South Carolina with my husband and his family and I can't wait to relax on a beach with a book!! My mom gave me a David Sedaris book to read that I'm really excited about, and I completely forgot I've been wanting to read Jenny Lawson's book. I'm so glad you included that one because it reminded me that I need to go out and get it!! :)

    Jess - J's Style
    fancypants514.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hope you have a great trip! Reading is one of my favorite things to do on vacation!

      Delete