Pages

Sunday, July 22, 2012

Anniversary Week - How it started

This coming Saturday marks 5 years of wedded bliss for John and me.  I decided to be ridiculous and dedicate the week to all the July 28th celebrations of the past several years.  If you hate love, feel free to come back next week!  I think I will continue daily outfit posts, too, so you'll be getting a double dose of Smithiness each day.   

Let's just start at the beginning!  In the summer of 2006, I was living in Indianapolis.  John was living in Omaha.  After almost 2 years of being close friends, I think we both knew we should just give it up and get married.  Like a true gentleman, John decided he should come visit me for the weekend.

I picked him up at the airport, and we met my sister and nieces at Chick-fil-A for lunch.  We also went to Dick's Sporting Goods to get a frisbee.  I think we went to the park and threw the frisbee first, and then went to get sno cones (or did we throw the frisbee after?  My memory is fuzzy).  Sitting on the benches by the sno cone hut, John asked me to be his girlfriend and I happily accepted.  I think this picture was taken just before we had the talk. 





That evening, we went on our first official date:  dinner at the Cheesecake Factory and then bowling.  Our waiter was kind enough to snap a picture of us at dinner. 

Anyway, that was July 28th, 2006.  We spent the rest of the weekend exploring Indianapolis.  On Sunday, we went to church (where my dad just happened to be preaching about how to find your spouse) and then I had to send him back to Nebraska and spend a whole month in Indy.  Usually, I didn't want summer to end, but in 2006, I was ready to get back to college!   

If you are paying attention, you know we got married exactly one year later - but more on that tomorrow!

2 comments:

  1. My parents anniversary is July 28th, too (this is year 28 for them). I think it's pretty wild that your wedding date is the same as your first date!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, when we were trying to pick a wedding date, we noticed it was a Saturday and figured that was a good way to decide! I thought it was fun!

      Delete