Pages

Tuesday, June 5, 2012

Summer Tips from Third Grade Rock Star

My next guest blogger is Conolley from Third Grade Rock Star.  I've known her for as long as I can remember, as we grew up together, going to the same church.  I can only imagine the embarrassing photos there probably are from middle school youth group trips.  The 90s were just an awkward time for pre-teens!  Anyway, her blog has awesome tips for teachers, as well as plenty of fun fashion and beauty tips.  Below, she gives some great ideas for cute and casual summer options.  Enjoy!
_____________________________________________________________________________

Greetings Just Another Smith readers!  I'm super excited to be guest posting over here today and sharing some of my summer fashion tips!
As a teacher, I feel like I sometimes have two completely different wardrobes...  My teacher wardrobe and my normal person wardrobe.  I feel like I usually do a pretty good job of bringing those two worlds together, but there's still sometimes a contrast!

You also have to consider the fact that I spend about 2 1/2 months of the year not working.  I'm not really a huge fan of summer and heat, but I bear it and try to dress for style and comfort during the hot summer months.  A good chunk of the time you'll find me in a tee and workout pants, but for some reason being a scrub on most days makes my desire to look nice when I do actually have things to do even stronger.

So, here are three bits of advice on how to stay looking good even when it's miserably hot, humid, and gross outside!
  •  Summer knits are your best friend.  I love fun knit tees, tanks, and dresses for the summer.  They're pretty much my go-to on a daily basis.  I like the versatility you have to change the look with accessories or just keep it simple.  Every few years Gap comes out with a great line of tees and this is one of those years.  I could seriously buy them all (but of course I'm holding out for a really awesome sale)!  My top picks so far from there are the Mercer v-neck and Harbor scoop.  I've got 2 of each so far and have been wearing them a ton for work and play.  Knit tops and dresses are also great transitional items between seasons because they're easy to layer!
  • If you don't like shorts, rock a dress!  I'm not a shorts girl.  These legs aren't made for shorts and I really struggle finding shorts that look right on me.  I'm a huge fan of dresses in the summer, though!  They can be cool and casual and appropriate for a variety of occasions.  Tank dresses are totally a necessity for me, but I've also become a fan of maxi dresses recently.  There are a lot of times when I'll toss on a comfy dress when I'm headed to dinner or a concert with friends during the hot summer months!
  • Use accessories to add some pizzazz!  I think accessories are wonderful any time of the year, but I think sometimes my summer clothes are so blah that the accessories are what really makes the outfit.  Like I mentioned earlier I'm in love with basic tank dresses.  I have one a black one from Gap that is pretty much my go-do dress when I can't decide what to wear.  I've worn that dress to weddings, concerts, church, work, and dinner with friends and can make it look different every time depending on how I accessorize!
Here are a few of my picks for cute and affordable summer finds:

Gap Mercer Tees in neon  (I have the neon pink and neon green.)
Gap Mercer Tees in other colors  (I have my eye on a few colors...)
Gap Tudor Tanks  (This is the only item I don't have, but I've tried them on and want to snatch them up with my most recent coupon!)

And a Polyvore set of some cute, casual picks for those hot summer days!
Casual Summer Outfits
 


No comments:

Post a Comment