Pages

Monday, December 5, 2011

DIY Glittery Shoes

I recently saw this post and immediately wanted to try it.  I didn't have any shoes that I was ready to glitterize, so I went searching at Goodwill and found these Franco Sartos for $3.99!

It was tough to decide what color of glitter to go with.  I thought black would be the most reasonable choice, but then I threw caution to the wind and went with green.  Here are my supplies:



I basically followed the instructions from the link above, but here they are: 
  1. I used saran wrap and tape to wrap up the heel of the shoe.  I never mastered painting in the lines in elementary school.
  2. Then, in a disposable bowl, I mixed up the glue and glitter.  
  3. Paint the glitter glue mixture onto the shoes, sprinkling extra glitter where needed.
  4. At this point, I let the glue dry, and then came back later and re-applied glue and glitter on the sparse areas.
  5. After that is dry, I journeyed to the garage to spray the clear coat over the shoes.  Again, I stuffed the inside of the shoes with aluminum foil, and also wrapped the buckles to prevent the clear coat getting everywhere.  
Here's the finished product:  



I'm pretty pumped about my new shoes!  I just have to figure out an appropriate event and outfit for them.  Husband's work Christmas party?  Maybe.

I will say if you try this, I'd recommend shoes without a buckle.  I really love the look of the buckle, but I can already tell the glitter and clear coat is going to wear off around the buckle.

4 comments:

  1. Holy cow, those are so adorable! I am definitely going to try it- the green looks awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOVE IT! Green was definitely the right choice.

    ReplyDelete
  3. 1) Can we just point out that you got a pair of Franco Sartos for $4?! Crazy! 2) So cute! I love them!

    Just stopping by from Mingle Monday!

    -Sarah from [life of love]

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are super cute! Would look great with a great little black dress!

    ReplyDelete